Monday, October 14, 2019

Adding the Amazfit Bip

 


















Here's the Amazfit Bip Watch.  Example of the regular watch face and notifications.  The notification is, estimate 100 mg/dl, 80 mg/dl in 12 minutes, falling.

This continues to be a battle to stay ahead of product obsolescence.  My Amazfit Band died after 10 months.  It would no longer charge.  The root problem was most likely that it was no longer waterproof.  The thing basically fell apart in my hand while I was trying to attach the charger.

Potentially tricky using the Amazfit products now.  The new firmware requires a server generated key.  So, you have to activate the watch with your phone, using the MI app.  But don't let the app update your firmware, when it starts to do that, close the app.  Then go to Arduino and do the pairing as you normally(how much of this is normal?) would.  A shame, there's allot of interesting functionality on this watch, but I can't use it.

On deck, I'm messing around with the Ticwatch, which is Wear OS, which used to be Android Wear.  This isn't going well.  Like my previous battle with Android Wear, I can't keep bluetooth up for more that 6 hours, at some point the watch decides it's inactive and shuts everything down.  You can't restart bluetooth without rebooting the watch.  On top of that, ambient mode changed, and the watch is only good for about 11 hours.  It's also clunky and huge.  The cool thing with this project is calibration can be performed on the watch.  Almost back to the functionality I had on the Pebble Round... So close, yet so far.

---10/15/2019 Update----
Way to many features on this watch to not risk letting it update it's firmware.  Did not remove my pairing, so good to go.

---10/19/2019
Continue to be amazed with this watch.  Battery is going to last nearly 2 weeks.  Using the GPS on runs, integrates with Strava.  I'll probably ditch the Vivosmart in the near future, although I do like the Garmin software.  Updated the fonts to Bold, can easily read it now.  Don't think I'll be wasting anymore of my time on Wear OS/Android Wear.  Why deal with a wearable that requires daily charging?

No comments:

Post a Comment