Thursday, May 16, 2013

What's Next

This is giving me lots of ideas.  Big issue at the moment is the amount of horsepower I'm using to do this.  Can I reduce the foot print?  I originally wanted to do this with a micro controller, and that's still the ultimate goal.

Can I move all the software to a Raspberry Pi?  Only if I can get Dexcom Studio to run under Wine.  This would get things down to a manageable size, everything can live in a backpack or my gym bag.  Obviously, going out to dinner, I would just put the Dexcom in my pocket.

The Dexcom requires a windows driver and has proprietary code.  I should be able to "tell" the Dexcom to dump an XML file without using the studio.  Can I write a linux compatible driver, or again, use Wine.  This would definitely be capable of running on a Pi, then.  I have a working obsolete Dexcom 7 that is about to undergo some serious hacking.

And finally, the TI Chronos watch.  This is a product well on its way to obsolescence.  It only has a range of about 10 feet, which doesn't meet my gym requirement.  It's also fairly ugly.  Development looks like a nightmare, and not all features are accessible.  I have development environments configured in Linux for Open Chronos and Open Chronos NG.  I think neither of these supports the BlueRobin module though.
At a minimum, I'd like to get the glucose reading underneath the time, currently it occupies its own screen.

The MetaWatch looks like a better candidate.  This is TI's replacement for the Chronos.
Although, of all the Smart watches, the Sony looks best at the moment.  Glucose readings could be easily displayed on the Watch using a twitter feed.  Communicating with any of these watches looks like it would require a Smart Phone acting as a hotspot for the software that's reading from the Dex.  Then some mechanism to send the glucose reading as a text message, through the smart phone, to the watch.  

Looks like smart phone development is probably in my future...

No comments:

Post a Comment